...seen through a slightly smudged, secondhand pair of rose-tinted glasses

Tuesday, 25 September 2012

Day 318 - Bed Socks and Mouse/Mitts

Bed socks aren't necessarily a sign that you're getting on are they? Just wondering, because I've been given six pairs in a relatively short space of time.  Not that I'm complaining. I don't really have a problem slip-sliding down the slope into comfort. And I do get cold feet.

Among my hoard I'm lucky enough to have a few cashmere pairs. They always start off being my favourites, but maddeningly I seem to go through them in a matter of weeks. Is it just me? I know, as the name suggests they're not a heavy duty sock, but come on! A few weeks of night-time pottering and telly watching?

Anyway I've tried mending the massive heel holes - the thing is I'm not very good at it, and usually end up creating an uncomfortable lump. A darn lump would be about right.


So why am I showing you my tatty old cashmere bed socks? Well, inspired by the very lovely Thrift Bee, who cleverly transformed an old cashmere scarf into a gorgeous, hot water bottle cover, I decided to forget darning, and give the socks a new lease of life as a pair of fingerless gloves.

And it was pretty easy. First I cut off the foot part, just where the heel starts - slipped them on, and marked the place I wanted the thumb hole to be.


Then stitched around the raw edges to stop them unravelling and carefully sewed on some ribbon. A little fiddly, but I found a lovely purple/blue two-tone piece.


And in an attempt to use every possible un-holey bit of the sock, I salvaged enough of a toe section to make this softy.

Do you think there might be a market for cashmere cat toys...?


Linking up with Lakota's Ta-dah! Tuesday

12 comments:

  1. You are not alone in ravaging through cashmere socks, I never thought to try and re-use though. I have made both fingerless gloves and, would you believe cashmere mice from sweaters though. Little Bee was in playschool back then and i used to hide the mouse in her pinnie pocket to keep her company during the day. Don't waste the cashmere mouse on the cat just yet, let them have a few secret trips to school first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a lovely idea! I'll maybe sneak it into my daughter's coat pocket tomorrow. Not so keen on giving it to the cat anyway...

      Delete
  2. Oh, and thanks for the shout out! I'm chuffed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How brilliant are they?? My feet get terribly cold in bed - and then I can't sleep. I haven't yet gone to bed in socks in my own bed (do alot when we're camping)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Sometimes go to bed in them, but then wake up in the middle of the night boiling!

      Delete
  4. What a great idea! They look lovely. And yes, I can totally see the yummy pet loving mummies of Chelsea buying cashmere mice!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to give Bee's fab idea a whirl, and make more out of an old cashmere jumper I can't bring myself to throw out :) x

      Delete
  5. Very clever! Love the little mouse. He's too good for cats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fab idea! i love the softy cashmere toy you made and the gloves are just perfect! i too easily get cold feet and hands...hubby keeps on telling me that my feet are as cold as ice! when i've been wearing not one but two socks everyday!

    blog hopping from ta dah tuesday

    x susan

    ReplyDelete