...seen through a slightly smudged, secondhand pair of rose-tinted glasses

Thursday, 15 November 2012

Day 361 - Behind every picture...

Catching falling leaves and squelching through muddy puddles; a tree-covered hillside peppered with russets, reds and golds...

WISH I had my camera!

I've thought that more than once over the last month or so (my phone one is useless)
There really are the most spectacular photos, just waiting to be taken at this time of year. I don't always catch what I see, but on a bright day when the low sun brings out the richness of the autumn colours, I want to try.
It's as if the landscape has been perfectly lit for a shoot, and Mother Nature's saying, 'LOOK!' 
And that's a wise idea seeing as these glorious days can be few and far between. Probably makes us appreciate them more though. Autumn is such a rollercoaster of a season.

I was so glad I remembered my camera for our trip to beautiful Dore Abbey which isn't far from us.


Funny how I've never really noticed the large tree right next to the Abbey - hard to miss now, glowing among the ancient gravestones. So peaceful...

Dore Abbey

...though no time to enjoy the peace, because you see the shadows by the porch? My little lovelies were there having a great time, squealing and bouncing up and down on the springy wheelchair ramp. And that's what I remember when I look at these. Isn't it often the way?

But the photos I've taken this autumn have a deeper meaning too - they'll always remind me of the countdown to my husband coming home. They'll remind me of the emotion, relief, pride and total joy I feel now, knowing our year apart is almost up, and that we've all got through it, safe and sound.

The mist is lifting. Finally. No more limbo or life on hold.
The start of a new exciting chapter.

I'm linking up with Older Mum (in a muddle)'s wonderful One Week project - catching a flavour of autumn '12 in words and pictures

one week

20 comments:

  1. Fabulous post - love how you have written it. And your photos are gorgeous - loving the colours and the one with the mist is just stunning! And so glad to hear that your husband is coming home to you all - what a wait that must have been for you! Thank you so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Really ready for some full on family life now! x

      Delete
  2. Ps. Are you on Twitter? What's your profile name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries! Your post has been getting a few retweets :o).

      Delete
  3. That tree is spectacular and the mist is sosymbolic, as you say. What a moving post. PS Twitter will get you more traffic to you lovely blog and you'll probably find other women in your position XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Haven't got my head round Twitter, but maybe I'll try when he's back and things settle down xx

      Delete
  4. Lovely post. And beautiful pictures. The last gave me goose bumps. Here's to your new chapter. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooo do go on twitter :-). I love your photographs. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm such an old dinosaur! Always behind the times xx

      Delete
  6. love the mist image..beautiful, you can hear the silence :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is peaceful isn't it? I had to go back home to get my camera for that one - very glad I did :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That last picture is truly stunning! Not long now!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tissues please! Oh I'm excited for you. (When? When is he coming?)

    Lovely words to match beautiful photos. You do live in a lovely part of the world and you capture it really well.

    I was discussing autumn colour with my Mum last night on the phone. It has been an especially fabulous show here too, and its lasted ages because there hasn't been a severe frost to wipe it out.

    I had a beautiful autumn moment during the week. Wading through an incredible
    carpet of leaves I looked up to see which tree had lost such a quantity, and set against a brilliant blue sky, a silent gust of wind seemed to take the last remaining leaves from the tree and swirl them down and around me. Was lovely but felt like the end of a lovely autumn.

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds so perfect Bee! Today wasn't a bad autumn day either, and I've got a big smile on my face because he should be back late tomorrow (sunday) Do feel quite emotional at the moment! x

      Delete
    2. Well I hope it all goes swimmingly, and you don't cave in with the stress of it all. Enjoy. x

      Delete
  10. This is beautiful, brought happy tears the way you expressed your husband pending homecoming. Very happy for you x

    ReplyDelete