Wednesday, 14 November 2012

Easy Paper Houses


If you've any colouring-in keenies, then these could be just the thing! They're simple and satisfying, as well as being one of the main reasons I picked up The Big Ideas Book in the first place.

I spent many happy hours designing and drawing my dream house when I was little and coming up with ideas for the rooms, often inspired by the brilliant illustrations in Richard Scarry books. Carefully putting everything I could possibly think of in my imaginary home.

I never made any like this though.

All you need is a sheet of paper, glue or sellotape and a ruler - I used thickish coloured paper, but whatever you've got will do.

Fold it in half lengthways


Open again and fold in both outside edges so they meet in the middle on the crease line.


Open again, turn, and bend both the top and bottom ends this time - so they measure the same as the lengthways ones you've just done. I found the best way to do this, was to measure a lengthways one, then hold the ruler as I was folding the top and bottom ends, creasing when the fold was the right measurement.


Without turning, cut tabs along the 3 creases at the top and bottom ends, as far as the crossways folds.


Cut out doors, windows and chimneys if you want on either of the long sides. Best to decorate your house when it's flat too.
When you're happy, turn over and stick the tabs that form the roof nice and snug with glue or sellotape, then the walls..


...checking it sits properly as you do it.



We had a Richard Scarry moment and drew rooms on the back as well.


From houses to shops....and before we knew it, we had a small village!
Didn't take long at all.




9 comments:

  1. Brilliant - I will definitely enjoy doing this with Pink - and Blue probably too. Can't tell you how much we LOVE Richard Scarry in this house. Mr Frumble's Worst Day Ever is a particular favourite, and anything with Bananas Gorilla...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are the best!! Fantastic drawings and very funny. Lovely seeing the kids enjoy the earlier RS books as much as I did. Hope you have fun with the paper houses and the instructions are clear enough - let me know if they're not!

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I like this. I have a Christmas crafting mission (on my blog) and this could definitely fit in somewhere, with appropriate decorations drawn on or making it Santa's village or something! I'll be sure to link back to you if it makes the list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Madeleine - I think a Santa's village would be perfect! So glad you like them.

      Delete
    2. Just to let you know - I put up my post about these - not quite as successful as I had hoped but I'll be giving them another go 'cause I love them!

      Delete
    3. Brilliant! Ours definitely improved the more we made ( we now have enough for a small town!) x

      Delete
  3. They are fantastic, I love the details! I might have a go at some of these to go with the train set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! Think it would work really well - fun to make a station :)

      Delete
  4. wow i just adore these!

    when I first glanced at your picture I thought they might be notebooks with colour-in house covers... (I might have to do one of those one day :)

    i remember the Richard Scarry books, i also used to like the minute details in them, and the food shaped vehicles too :)

    thanks so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete