...seen through a slightly smudged, secondhand pair of rose-tinted glasses

Friday, 28 December 2012

Christmas Calories


For a few days over Christmas
Behold! A magic treat,
for calories simply disappear
from everything I eat.

So it's ok to go to town
and feast on festive fare,
because it's about as fattening
as gobbling up thin air...

I burrow into tins of sweets
find ham and sprouts to munch,
it really doesn't seem that bad
frying Christmas pud for brunch.

Guilt takes a break this time of year
and self-control goes too,
no tricky choices to be made,
sure, it's all good for you!

And something makes me go and buy
triple what's enough,
so to be fair it's only right 
that someone eats the stuff.

But soon the spell is broken,
it was magic while it lasted,
and something's happened to my tum,
can't see my big feet past it.

18 comments:

  1. Even though MY feet are small
    Since Tuesday I can't see them at all!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fab! Such a shame it doesn't come off as quickly as it goes on!! :)

      Delete
  2. Tell me you didn't pen that yourself?? Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yes - that's me! Hope you've had a lovely time. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did! Though we've all been coughing, sniffling and sneezing this week - still had a lovely relaxing few days xxx

      Delete
  4. Ha ha! very true, that describes me at this time of year too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every year I think I'll be more sensible. Never happens! x

      Delete
  5. I am not going anywhere near any scales for a very very long time! :D Hope you had a great Christmas, and that 2013 is a great year for you all.... Emma xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Emma :) And I've taken the batteries out of our scales xx

      Delete
  6. Ha Ha - fab! If there's some kind of petition around to make calories disappear at christmas then I'm up for signing it! I heard the other day that the average person ingests 8000 calories on christmas day (and,lets face it, that's just one day amidst many of gluttony! *eats another mince pie*) #prose4T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 8000? Bonkers isn't it! And even though I know it's daft, I'm quite sure I'll be shovelling the food in next week! Thanks Maddy :)

      Delete
  7. lol this made me laugh, frying Christmas pud for brunch?? love it :-) merry Christmas honey x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thanks lovely! The worrying thing is frying the pud has become a bit of a family tradition! x

      Delete
  8. This poem so totally sums up Christmas eating for me! Brilliant! I read this to one of my sisters and she nodded the whole way through! Thank you so much for supporting Prose for Thought this year :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've really enjoyed joining in xx

      Delete