...seen through a slightly smudged, secondhand pair of rose-tinted glasses

Tuesday, 5 March 2013

Jumper Challenge - Part 2

Ok, so there wasn't a huge amount of jumper left after Part 1, but enough for a few small things. I still had both cuffs - these make great fingerless gloves, but for some reason I was set on having a go at a dress for my old Sasha doll, now loved to bits by my daughter.
Looking at the cuffs, I could just picture one of those polo neck jumper dresses from my childhood, do you know the ones I mean? Tight, pure acrylic ribbed top with a roll neck and a little pleated skirt - oh I remember them so well!
Perfect for Sasha from the Seventies.



The ribbed bit of one cuff makes the top part of the dress, with the start of the sleeve becoming the skirt. I cut the other cuff in half for the sleeves.  The beauty of this is there's very little sewing to do - just the seam up the sleeves and a hem around the bottom of the skirt - I used some flowery braid to cover the stitches. Then cut holes for the arms and sew them in. The end of the cuff is the roll neck bit,  and I think it rather suits her..

Seventies Sasha

I'd made hearts in Part 1 and wanted to try a few more small things that were a simple shape, like mice and birds.


Lavender bags, hanging decorations, pin cushions, a cat toy? PLENTY of possibilities!


And there was even enough left for the pygmy owl keyring.
Flowers from the embroidered braid made good owl eyes I think, and saved me having to cut tiny circles out of felt which is such a miserable, fiddly job..


Not too shabby for an old jumper

18 comments:

  1. Wow - that's incredible, well done! I love the dolly's dress, so 70s and perfectly finished with the little floral trim.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz! Orders are in for more dresses for all Sasha's friends..

      Delete
  2. VERY impressive! Love the little dress - its perfect. And cute little birds and mice. Well done! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh you kept your Sasha doll! I sold mine on ebay. I am heartless. (I cut his hair too as a child!) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they can go for a small fortune on ebay! But too attached to mine, and my daughter really does love playing with them (I've got 3) Fortunately my Sashas avoided a haircut and felt tip make up...Action Girl wasn't so lucky..

      Delete
  4. I am speechless with impressed-ness!! Love the doll's dress in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very impressed, with both part one and two! If I told you I have SIX Sashas*, what would you say? And what's more I bought them when I was a grown-up girl with a young family. Do I still have them? Oh yes indeed, and one day I'll be making a new wardrobe for them.

    * Two girls (of different colours), two boys (ditto) and two babies (ditto).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, 6 Sashas!! They are pretty special and so collectable now. A few years ago I saw three, in their original boxes at the local auction and didn't leave a bid! Still kicking myself about that. I do have an old 70's knitting pattern for Sasha outfits - I could send you a copy?

      Delete
    2. Unfortunately I don't have the boxes :( My daughter (born inthe mid seventies) also has a Sasha baby. I'd be very interested in the patterns. You can contact me by e -mail. Thank you. BTW I see you classify yourself as an army wife. I'm an ex-RAF wife, so not quite the same, but as a teacher I spent half my life working with army families in schools on Salisbury Plain.

      Delete
    3. you know all about it then - it's a funny old life! We decided to live in our own home rather than move about with the army. It means the kids can stay at the same school - the downside is my husband's away a lot and we don't see him much.
      I'll email you about the pattern :)

      Delete
  6. That is the best recycling I have seen in a very long time! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's very lovely of you! Thanks Emma :)

      Delete
  7. That's impressive work! My nearly-five-year-old is keen to make some clothes for her toys and stuffed toys and I have a jumper that I could use too. I may be copying you sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's great! Let me know how it goes - the cuffs and rib at the bottom would also be great for jumpers or hats!

      Delete
  8. Dang girl! You are clever!!! I'm blown away by everything here today.

    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete