Wednesday, 19 June 2013

More Dad Time - The Gallery


I know he hates being away from us during the week; but the kids are always falling over themselves with excitement when he's back on a friday night.

Sometimes, just sometimes I wonder what it would be like to be missed and get that kind of a welcome - but truth be told, I quite look forward to fading into the background and letting him be their centre of attention for a while.

Lucky for all of us he has a knack of switching out of work mode somewhere along the journey home; so by the time he walks through the door he's ready to jump straight back in, and - joy of joys - take over bedtime duties. Their Dad's much better at this than me, spending ages chatting and reading. My mind starts wandering as soon as I hear '...and the magic key began to glow..' I'm thinking about what needs to be done downstairs or what I'm going to write here..

Now they're older he makes a point of doing something special with each of them. I've already written about the weekend walks by the river with the middle one, who spent over an hour the other day drawing a detailed map of their route. These are the kind of things they're always going to remember.

Love this photo from our holiday in France - not just for the precious Dad/daughter moment, but also because the other two rascals somehow managed to fight their way into the shot!


The Gallery theme this week is Dads

23 comments:

  1. That photo is both touching and hilarious... Are they both fighting in the background? Lovely post... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. indeed they are! Probably throwing sand at each other. Does add another dimension to the pic! Thanks Emma :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely post and a beautiful picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab photo! Sounds like you're all coping pretty well with the way your family life is at present - it must be hard, but you seem to be making it work. Mr Patchwork sounds a gem! (sorry, you are too!! - that had echoes of women endlessly praing my OH when he looked after our youngest for a few months when I was working!) Abby X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're fine Abby! He's great and I don't tell him enough! I've said before, the arrangement we have probably wouldn't work if he found it hard to switch back into family life, and spend time with the kids at the weekend, but he's brilliant at it. Very hands on - certainly way more than my Dad ever was, as much as I love him! Can't really remember doing things with my Dad, but pretty sure it'll be a different story for our kids x

      Delete
  4. That is such a beautiful photo even with the rascals in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Lou! Took it on top of the Dune du Pilat - a huge sand dune near Bordeaux. Amazing place, amazing views. Such a great day.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely picture and how typical of boys to be fighting, hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a beautiful post and such an amazing picture x

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a gorgeous photo of dad and daughter, but I do love that your boys are fighting in the background - how typical of boys when you're trying to take a nice photo :) #TheGallery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're such scamps aren't they! The whole, enormous sand dune to play/fight on, and of course they have to do it right in my shot! :)

      Delete
  8. I just loved reading this. My other half is away most of the week as well, so when he arrives home he takes over bedtime etc and I can thank fully fade into the back ground with a nice cup of tea. Love the photo! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought bedtime would get a whole lot easier as they got older, but hasn't improved that much! Maybe it's me! Struggling to get them to stay in bed, just never seem to be tired...different story in the morning of course. REALLY look forward to fridays! x

      Delete
  9. This is an absolutely beautiful photo x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well said. It seems you have a one in a million there. As a 'service' wife I remember all too well how it was when my husband returned after time away. Fortunately I too have a one in a million.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a relief when he gets back; being able to share again, but always takes a bit of time to adjust, whether it's a week or 6 months. Still he makes it pretty easy and is brilliant with the kids. Thanks Marilyn x

      Delete
  11. That's a beautiful photo and a beautiful love letter to your husband.

    ReplyDelete