Tuesday, 22 October 2013

Turning tables

I had one of those heart fluttery moments when I saw this small 60's kitchen table sitting among the outside lots at our local auction.

Definitely wasn't looking for a table, but love its simple shape and the patterned formica top...



and best of all I love the clever little spring locking system for the table flap.

I really wanted it. Unfortunately someone else really wanted it too, so it cost me £28 in the end which was a tad more than I'd budgeted for, but I wasn't about to let it slip away.

I think it's fair to say my other half didn't have a heart fluttery moment when he saw it...
I'm still trying to convince him it's a perfect replacement for the toaster + stuff-you-don't-know-what-to-do-with table, in the kitchen. Not quite there yet if I'm honest, so, trying to win him round by pointing out its practical, easy-wipe qualities, and the fact there's more room for stuff... Space for my sewing machine too, which is a bonus, because as much as I love my decoupage trolley, I can't tuck my legs under it, and have to sit in a rather awkward, skewed position to sew which is bally uncomfortable.

So, one in, one out...hopefully.

I'm getting rid of this Ikea kid's table and chairs set. It is no longer used for its intended purpose, and is now more likely to be part of a barricade or found upside down in some elaborate trap.
Before the table gets completely trashed I thought I'd give it a quick makeover and sell it at the Christmas fair in Hereford.


This Miffy book was a 60p charity shop find, and luckily there were just enough pages to cover the top. The prep took a while but the paper's good and thick, and the sticking was way less nerve-wracking than using thin comics or wispy napkins.


I used ordinary pva glue and gently rubbed kitchen roll over the pictures to smooth out any air bubbles. There are 5 coats of clear varnish over the top as I figure it's going to need it. Now I'm thinking I quite like the table....which is always my problem!



Linking up (a little late) with Liz's Magpie Monday

15 comments:

  1. Aaah, your formica table is divine AND hugely practical too (I thought I'd emphasise it's practicality just in case your hubby is reading). Love the Miffy decoupaged table - so much lovelier than before. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thanks Loo - I'll make sure he sees this! :)

      Delete
  2. OMG- I want the miffy table! Genius xx and good eye on the formica table it is tres belle x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm starting to regret using Miffy, because I love the illustrations. Useless at letting go of things!

      Delete
  3. Love the Miffy table - but not sure I could bring myself to cut up a Miffy book! We visited The Miffy House in Utrecht last year, a great day out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. never easy cutting up a book, totally agree with you, can feel horribly wrong somehow! But convinced myself it was fine in this case because someone had scribbled over the words...so less cutting up guilt!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous formica table, your husband will come around eventually I'm sure. Your Miffy makeover job is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the table hasn't been mentioned for a few days, hopefully a good sign?...Thanks Fiona :)

      Delete
  5. Wow, that Miffy table is fantastic, I'd find it difficult to part with that :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. really glad you like it :) Tempting to keep the table, but we don't need it! Think I'm going to have to hide it away until the fair...

      Delete
  6. Both are lovely, well done on the find and the miffy table! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i lived in the uk for a good 10 years and have never come across such a beautiful formica top table for such little money - i think you've bagged a total bargain! i always say that if a table has survived so many years and is still in great nick then it's worth the money you might pay for a new but crappy ikea or argos one...if it comes to 'it's me or that table', go with the table ;)
    the Miffy diy turned out great too, no wonder you feel attached!
    greetings from Finland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great to hear from you! Have to say I love the table, and do believe it's growing on my husband...not that I've any intention of taking it out of the kitchen! Ever. Looks perfectly at home :)

      Delete
  8. I really love the formica table - the pattern rocks, and the miffy table is brilliant! X

    ReplyDelete