...seen through a slightly smudged, secondhand pair of rose-tinted glasses

Monday, 3 February 2014

A few finds with a tale to tell

You know when you spot something old and familiar and suddenly get walloped by a wave of nostalgia?

That's what happened the second I saw these vintage puzzle blocks, sitting high on a shelf behind the counter in a local charity shop.


They made me think of my Granny. She had some in the toy box she kept in the kitchen for all the grandchildren - I remember they were covered in farmyard pictures. All a little tatty and worn like these ones, but that's what I like about them.



Six different scenes telling the story of Snow White, and not quite as easy to assemble as they look..
Usually the things I pretend to buy for the kids don't get much attention - five minutes of feigned interest at most - but my daughter has been playing and playing with these, and when she's not, I'm keeping them on the mantlepiece; with the large metal fish and the clown skittles.
Seems a shame to put them away.

This was also a bit of a nostalgic buy, and I do love a tin.


Couldn't resist this, just kicking myself for not buying the little dog dish that was there too - it had a tiny chip, but was only a pound. Isn't it always the way? I've put mine on the window sill by the sink for rings and things.


Bought these on a whim..


..two bags of wax flakes and some wicks - as if I really need another project! My sister has been making her own scented candles, and all the stuff was just sitting there in the Oxfam shop for £1.50. Maybe I'll have a go…maybe I'll give them to her…

Suppose I could have had a go this weekend seeing as we didn't venture out much, but instead spent a fair bit of time making things out of egg boxes, including a new addition to the homemade Zoo...

Arf Arf!
Coming soon!


Linking up with all the other magpies over at Me and My Shadow

7 comments:

  1. Ooh, love those puzzle blocks - although the wicked queen looks a nasty piece of work! Have a good week. Abby x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure I had one of those puzzles when I was a child. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.... xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaah memories. Remember my nan having a puzzle like that in her toybox. Show us your candles won't you?
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the puzzle- you never know what treasures you can find in a charity shop :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love them! I bought some very similar puzzle blocks for my kids when they were toddlers and embarrassed myself hugely because I still can't do them! So lovely though.
    I like the cat dish too - so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a haul! I remember similar farm yard blocks at my grandparent's house too, happy memories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those puzzle blocks are fab... hours of fun. I love the old toys. Love the Rupert bear tin as well. X

    ReplyDelete