...seen through a slightly smudged, secondhand pair of rose-tinted glasses

Saturday, 22 February 2014

Egg box seals that ain't Arf! easy...

The Zoo hasn't made an appearance for a while, but it's on my mind; pinging around in there - more about that in a moment - first though, a new arrival!

Arf!

Sammy the seal, plus food..

It's all about the cut with Sammy - no glue needed - just an egg box, a good pair of scissors, paint and a black felt tip.

Cut out as much of a middle cone as you can, right down to the bottom. I've drawn a circle round the cone in this box so you can see what I mean.



Draw a line half way up one side, then use the cone edges to help you draw the flippers, like this.


Next, angle the line from the flippers gently downwards on the sides of the cone..


..don't make the angle too sharp - and bring the two lines together at the back to form the body and tail.


Cut out your seal. Now, because egg box cardboard is prone to ripping, make a little snip at the top of the flippers at the front - keep these cuts quite small so you don't lose a flipper - then carefully bend the them, and the tail.


Round off the pointy corners left on the flippers after snipping - just helps make your seal look better.


Next, paint and draw a face, like this one, drawn on an unpainted seal so it's nice and clear.


We made a few fish from bits of leftover egg box card too,


and then the seals commandeered the penguins' pool ….



Maybe you remember a few weeks ago I showed you an upside-down shoe box? Well, this is what's inside.


The plan is to use my box of animals to promote Roll up to the Zoo as a possible book idea. Thankfully a friend is helping with the promo stuff, because I'm rubbish at that.


It might all come to nothing, but as my 6 year old says (as she enthusiastically enters yet another Milkshake! drawing competition), you've got to be in it to win it.

'Swings and roundabouts, Mummy!'

So weird hearing your own words coming back at you.


16 comments:

  1. Brilliant, and love the idea for the book... Along with the "play with your food book" that you need to do! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wouldn't that be fun! I've plenty of pics... Thanks Emma :)

      Delete
  2. I love your animals - you really have got quite a collection now, and they look brilliant all together. Love the book idea, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. never thought when I started I'd end up with such a big bunch of animals - would be lovely if I could do something with them!

      Delete
  3. Love that "got to be in it to win it" expression from your daughter. Have a great weekend. Linda@Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sounds so grown up when she says things like that, does make me laugh!

      Delete
  4. I don't know how you keep coming up with news ideas Tracey. Sammy is superb. That panda looks like he is doing something very naughty to the elephant in your last pic. Trust me to notice..hah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, trust you! Does look a bit dodgy though! Bad panda.
      Funny enough I thought i'd run out of ideas, but the more we make, the easier it is somehow to come up with new ones. The house is coming down with cardboard animals :)

      Delete
  5. These are sweet - my little man will love making them I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. let me know how it goes if you do! Thanks Lorna :)

      Delete
  6. So cute Tracey!
    And yes, yes, definitely these would make a beautiful craft book. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How very cute! Such accessible resources too.

    Gayle
    http://makethriftlovelife.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Egg boxes are brilliant - so many things you can make out of them! Thanks Gayle :)

      Delete
  8. I love this. I used to run a children's craft club, where one of our regular projects was an Elmer the Elephant, made from a plastic milk carton. For a while I would look at packaging in terms of their potential for projects. This is the cleverest but simplest I have seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't tell you how lovely that is to hear! It's given me a real boost, just when I needed it, thank you :)

      Delete