...seen through a slightly smudged, secondhand pair of rose-tinted glasses

Tuesday, 1 July 2014

Driving dramas and decoupage daisies

We took Betty the Camper out for a spin last week - Betty had other ideas…
She broke down in the middle of Hereford.
On the busiest road in the middle of Hereford.

It was a total nightmare; we were blocking a lane of traffic, getting evil looks and Betty was going Nowhere.
Thankfully a sympathetic policeman stopped and helped us push her off the road onto a side street.
She's away getting fixed at the moment, and the only good thing about that is it's freed up the garage for a few painting projects. Handy enough with all the rain at the end of last week.


The board at the back is a bath panel - we're redecorating the bathroom - a project sort of brought forward by my eldest sieve-head leaving the taps running…
I also painted the box and the mirror, ready for some napkin decoupage. I haven't done much at all since the chair - and it was just as terrifying as I remember! Though in a good way.
You really need to work quickly; any fussing about or over brushing and the napkin disintegrates. Believe it or not, the thing that made all the difference this time was a 50p pastry brush from Wilko. Worked a treat smoothing out wrinkles, and so much cheaper than decoupage brushes.


Definitely got better at it as I went along - quite a big difference between my first and last piece. Hoping it's not glaringly obvious to anyone else!



The mirror came from the local auction and cost £8; the flowery napkins were only £2 and I used ordinary PVA glue.
Because there's a need for speed with decoupage, once you get cracking it doesn't take long at all: this only took about half an hour.


I was tempted to add more flowers, but the general consensus here was less is more, and I should leave  it be. What do you think? Enough with the flowers, or room for a few extras?



23 comments:

  1. Poor Betty :-(. The mirror looks beautiful, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sally, just got Betty back and now she won't start…hoping it's the battery, she's being a tricky old lady at the moment!

      Delete
  2. It looks gorgeous Tracey. I dunno, I belong to the more is more school of thought as a rule...xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I'm inclined to keep going and fill those spaces! But know I overdo it sometimes xx

      Delete
  3. I hope the van drama does not work out too expensive. Breakdown or no Hereford is always jammed- poor you!
    The mirror is fantastic. I've never heard of napkin decoupage before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hereford is not a place to breakdown! Traffic is terrible isn't it. Have a feeling Betty is going to cost me a bit this summer! So glad you like the mirror - napkin decoupage is quick and fun and there are some gorgeous napkins about. Best to practice first and start on something small like a frame or a box…which is the thing I didn't do!

      Delete
  4. Oh your poor camper, Betty - hope she is feeling better now! :o). And love what you've done with that mirror - it's perfect, and looking gorgeous. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thanks lovely! Betty seems to be okay, thankfully the latest problem was battery related, so she's now charged up and ready to go! x

      Delete
  5. Naughty Betty... But what a productive time you had whilst she was in the doctors! Love that mirror! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma - just signed up for an autumn fair so that's where it'll be heading. Had another trip out this morning and all seems well with Betty!!

      Delete
  6. The mirror is a real transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it looks beautiful as is, with just the flowers on the corners - but I can also just see it with little flowers all along the front edge too... You're very talented and I'm sure it will look great either way. That camper looks like fun - once it's fixed of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie - think I'm going to leave it the way it is, and start on the box instead :)

      Delete
  8. I just love that mirror very 60's I think

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a beautiful transformation - I think it's fine with that amount!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That mirror is STUNNING! Where did you find those amazing napkins?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they're from a shop called Tiger - lovely skandi style stuff, a bit like Ikea - there's one in Cheltenham and there are other stores around the UK. Worth a look :)

      Delete
  11. They look beautiful, the daisies brighten everything up nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous bit of decoupage, so pretty, yes i agree i think less is more in this case :-)
    I really will get round to having a go, i will, i will!!
    So many crafts, so little time lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it looks stunning as it is x

    ReplyDelete